How can we learn to prevent fear during a street attack?

Fear in Self Defense 

How can we learn to prevent fear during a street attack? Here is my take on it. Fear cannot be eliminated. Fear is the natural effect of real aggression. Fear is a reality of self defense. In fact, this understanding is the essence of self defense.

Dealing with fear and the fear induced adrenal dump. I wrote an article a while back that had a lot to do with this called "Fighting the Bulletman". This was my introduction to understanding and dealing with the devastating effects of adrenaline.

 So in my opinion, we cannot eliminate fear, but learn to adjust to in and deal with it.

 I believe that much of what is taught today in martial arts schools and self defense programs will not work on the street. The techniques are far too involved (for the most part), there are too many techniques to learn and they don't have a common thread.

I believe a system must have a way of dealing with the initial threat and then continuing in a way that is basic and similar to the defenses of the other threats. In others words once you reach a certain point all or most of the follow ups are the same or similar.

This way a flow is easily developed.

This is what we have done with Street Self Defense 101 and this is what I teach my students in my dojo. Years back before we started adrenal stress training I use to believe that our system was simple and workable in a street attack. Even then I could see that high kicks, wrist manipulations, techniques that required too many steps or had too many variables, etc. would never work under the duress of a real attack. What I mean by variables is that you must determine and decide how the attack is coming and then figure out what your response should be.

Instead of having a general defense for a general type of attack. When I was preparing a women's self defense seminar I decided to buy some videos that other self defense "experts" had made. That was such an eye opener. I couldn't believe the garbage that so many were selling. I felt that even if I could learn one new practical technique or even an enhancement to what I was doing, it would be worth it. In some cases I found that. In others no, not even one I could use!

Since becoming involved with adrenal stress self defense, we found that even techniques we thought were simple enough could not be accessed or pulled off under stress. The key is not trying to eliminate fear as I don't think that is the reality. The idea is to deal with the fear by having a simple and effective system that will allow you to react, simply and directly. While the action doesn't actually eliminate the fear it just works through it.

 MORE....


HOW TO LEARN MARTIAL ARTS AT HOME ?

LEARN THE DIRTY STREET FIGHTING! ( on self defence!)

"INTIMIDATION"... "To deter by threats", "to frighten into submission".... Human Psychology of Self Defence !

The Four D'S' on Self Defence ( KRAV MAGA)

How to use pressure points in a street confrontation?

'Multiplied Force Fighting System'

Disarming a Weapon Wielding Attacker. (Krav Maga)

"Will traditional Martial arts work in a street confrontation?"

Putting Together Your Self Defense Puzzle

What many think of when you say "Self Defense"?

 'Shocker Defence Technique'

Kiai Self Defence..

Five Thousand Self Defence Techniques!!

The 'Shocker SELF Defence Technique' l

THE 5 S's OF SELF DEFENCE ...

Subject: Military Self Defense

Self Defense Question :"How can I overcome the adrenal rush?"

Strength Training for Self Defense

What many think of when you say "Self Defense" (Krav Maga)

Effective Use Of Pressure Points in Self Defense ( Krav Maga)

Dealing With the Effects of the Adrenal Rush / How to control it on Self Defence - Special forces Combatives..

Defending on Angles

Point of Reference Repetition

The Concept of Continuous Attack!

Using Distraction in Self Defense

Your most devastating weapons!

 More on Blocking in Self Defense

How can we learn to prevent fear during a street attack?

Assertive Behavior l

Blocking in Self Defense

QUESTION: Which is more difficult to defend, a gun or knife attack?

Shocking CNN News Article on College Rapes!

Hitting with incredible power.

Nine Important Self Defense Tips

Women's self defense!      

'Multiplied Force Fighting System    

The Use of Throws in Self Defense.